Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Reason to Quit

These are my two newest twin grandsons, Aldan and Theron, "visiting" their "Pop-Pop" at Arlington. Why am I posting this? Because it really hurts to look at this and to know that they will never know Alex. Alex was a smoker - Pall Mall unfiltered - he tried to stop many times but always went back to smoking. He had a quad bypass and carotid artery surgery - but he had emphysema and only quit smoking because they wouldn't operate unless he did.

He has missed or will miss seeing his daughter's new homes, meeting some of his grandchildren, knowing the sucesses of a daughter sawing a piece of wood for her home, a wonderful meal prepared by a daughter, a graduation, walking his daughter down the aisle for her wedding, the births, the phone calls, the recitals, the soccer games - I can't list it all.

If you smoke - please stop - please.

5 comments:

terri said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. Smoking seems to be an addiction that is simply impossible for some to shake.

Rock Chef said...

My dad is a very heavy smoker - often says he is giving up but never really makes the move. He seems to think that he is constantly on borrowed time because of other problems so probably sees no point in struggling!

My wife and I have never smoked and have brainwashed our kids against it, but we still see youngsters taking up the habit, even though there is no excuse for not knowing what it does to you. Sad.

Jenelle said...

It's so hard to think what is missed. I understand. I hurt that my dad will never know my boys and they will never know his smile and jokes. But I think of the parts of him that I want my boys to know - the parts of him that I want to live on in my family.

kenady said...

I wish, I wish, I wish he were here.

Sorry to have been incommunicado as of late... been working a very busy schedule, but you and yours are never far from my thoughts. love you, e

Anonymous said...

I think that just shows how aweful an addiction can really be...b/c nobody would willfully miss all those wonderful things.

I'm so sorry!!